Date of Action:
November 30, 2020
Nature of Action: On August 5, 2020, the Registrar issued a citation to Michael Henniger, RMT, under section 37 of the Health Professions Act.
The citation notifies Mr. Henniger that the Discipline Committee will conduct a hearing to inquire into his conduct as follows:
- On or about October 31, 2017, in the course of providing massage therapy services to a patient (the “Patient”), it is alleged that Mr. Henniger:
- failed to adequately communicate the treatment plan to treat the Patient’s pectoral muscles, including that he would treat at or near the Patient’s breasts;
- failed to obtain informed consent to treat at or near the Patient’s breasts;
- failed to communicate the intended depth of pressure used;
- after the Patient said words to the effect of “it is really sore, can we go lighter?”, stated words to the effect of “pain is good” and “it will fix it”;
- failed to adequately adjust treatment and communicate with the Patient after she expressed that she was experiencing pain; and further, or in the alternative,
- failed to keep adequate clinical records in relation to the treatment delivered to the Patient on or about October 31, 2017.
It is alleged that by engaging in this alleged conduct, Mr. Henniger:
- has not complied with the Health Professions Act or a bylaw;
- has not complied with a standard imposed under the Health Professions Act, including the CMTBC’s Code of Ethics and/or standards of practice; and further, or in the alternative;
- has committed professional misconduct or unprofessional conduct.
On October 30, 2020, a panel of the Discipline Committee issued reasons for decision in respect of an application to hold the discipline hearing in private and to conduct it by video-conference (among other requests).
Read the Reasons for Decision (PDF).
Hearing Dates and Location:
The hearing was held virtually on November 30, 2020. Once the Discipline Committee panel has reached a decision, this notice will be updated.
Important Note: Citations issued by the Inquiry Committee under section 37 of the Health Professions Act involve allegations which are and remain unproven unless admitted by a registrant or determined by the Discipline Committee.